Wednesday, January 9, 2008

How to Become the Artist!

For those of you who actually did go and start reading from the first post, you know we are looking at the different personality characteristics that you need to become creative and develop your creativity. The first step in developing your creativity is to become an explorer. Many of the earlier posts were designed to start people exploring more in their life. Exploring gives you more things to use to make connections. It is now time (ta da) for the second personality which is being an artist. Most people see an artist with a paint brush and for those lucky people, draw on. Painting and drawing are only two aspects of the artist. I am a person who draws a great deal of laughter whenever I attempt to play Pictionary. Not for my creativity but for my total inability to draw anything that looks like anything. I discovered a great test for obtaining a grade level for your artistic ability called, "Draw a Man". The instructions are quite simple. Take a piece of paper and draw a man. I have performed this test a number of times and am pleased to report... my scores consistently show about a solid, really good grade 2 ability. I can't draw!!! Does this mean I can't be an artist?? NO!!! My talents lie in different areas. Being an artist can mean using words or arranging furniture or noses(plastic surgeons) or or or. You need to find our talents. You need to learn to not feel bad because you can't draw but revel in developing what areas you do have abilities.

I would like to leave this post with a few neat quotes to get you started on accepting and developing your specific style of artistry.

“I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people”
Vincent van Gogh

“Writing is very much a playground; an artistic playground. It's the most fun thing I do.”
Shania Twain

“Doing things the way you see it, going by your own heart and soul, that is pure artistic integrity. Whatever the hair is six or sixty inches long, the eyes have make-up or not, the riffs are in 'E' or 'F' sharp, the amps are Marshall or not, all those things don't matter if you are doing it for the right reason, which to me means doing it for yourself!”
Lars Ulrich

"You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life."
Salvador Dali

"Everyone in my family is in the film business; I knew I wanted to be creative and it was important in my family to be artistic."
Sofia Coppola

"All gardening is landscape painting."
Alexander Pope

Please feel free to add your thoughts.

No comments: